If I Ruled the World (a random collection of thoughts)
Practicing mindfulness. Digital natives have great difficulty existing in silence. I would have students start class with a 20 minute mindful activity, no technology involved. Students could journal, decorate a physical calendar to plan their week ahead, crochet, meditate into a nap, work on a perpetual classroom puzzle, or read. Anything that involves stillness and engagement. This would allow them time to adjust to the classroom environment, away from the constant screens.
Language Learning would engage current events. A prominent exercise would be to have students explain political and cultural events in a country whose primary language is what is being taught. For example, “In Spanish, write an essay describing Cuban citizens’ most recent thoughts on U.S. intervention.” While politics is a touchy subject, and prompts would probably require higher approval, this is a real, current, and engaging way to learn not only about the language but its people.
I appreciated your random thoughts! Two comments: On mindfulness, I love these ideas away from screens. I read The Writer's Way a long time ago and practiced doing morning pages for several months after--it's basically just a timed writing exercise to get whatever random thoughts you're having down on paper. A thought download if you will. For students in an ELA class, this has so many benefits--head clearning, shifting their mental focus from receiving and tapping to writing and expressing, as well as helping to develop writing fluency. It's a big deal. The other comment, I think classes with instructors who can adapt on the fly to have a plan, but adapt the content and be really "of the moment" with their examples and discussions lead to far more engaging interactions for students. I think it is a challenge, and no instructor can do that all the time, but even being open to it is a big deal for learners.
ReplyDeleteMeg, your discussion about language learning stood out to me because it connects language to real-world cultural and political contexts rather than treating it as isolated vocabulary and grammar practice. Bringing current events into the classroom can make learning feel much more authentic and engaging for students. Overall, your post highlights the importance of balancing innovation with humanity—by using both mindfulness and meaningful challenges to create deeper, more intentional learning experiences.
ReplyDelete